Wednesday 1 May 2013

Bridal makeup on YOUTUBE

I believe that a lot of us look around youtube for makeup looks - and my brides tells me that too.

Well videos do show pretty nice makeup looks for brides. Let us be honest here. A lot of the gurus had never done any makeup on brides before. I have no problems with that because I started off not knowing how to put on proper makeup for brides too. However, issues starts when some of my clients asked me why couldn't I finish their bridal face makeup in 20 minutes, while youtubers could do it within 10 minutes.

1. Videos are being cut short. I have done tutorials on youtube a few years back. For a 6-8 minute video, I could actually be spending 60 minutes on the actual makeup.

2. They cut out a lot more steps for bridal makeup. Either that they did not know of some steps, they just didn't feel like doing them, or they don't want to share it. Whatever it is, cutting steps out could still achieve the same look on camera for a while. But that may not make your makeup last. Cutting steps may not enhance certain areas on the face, and the truth is that most of us don't have that kind of smooth skin you see on youtube. Or contours some pretty girls have on there. JEALOUS!

Look around youtube for bridal makeup inspirations. But don't just follow the steps - it doesn't work that way for everyone.

I'll stop at those 2 reasons and continue on the 20 minutes thing...

Yes it is possible to finish a face makeup in 20 minutes. But like I said in the previous post, wedding is once in a life time. Do try to put a little more time into it.

The average time a makeup artist spends on a bride's makeup & hair is around 1.5 hours. That is the average time Singapore makeup artist spend, and also the average time a bride is willing to spend on it. (Especially Chinese weddings... Chinese brides sometimes have to wake up at 4am due to their tradition! I ever start packing at 2am because of that... No sleep at all x.x )

The truth is.. A celebrity makeup artist could easily spend 3 - 4 hours on a makeup look, and that is normal for them. There is a difference between 30 minutes and a 3 hr makeup. Huge difference.

Now if brides got to get ready before 6am, it is obviously not possible for 3-4 hrs makeup! So what I do is I spend an average of 2 - 4 hours on my brides during their trial. Fellow makeup artists who come across this might think I am crazy and spoiling market whatever. But it is important to invest time for a long trial. A trial is not just about doing 1 makeup look. It is about learning the your contours and being able to shorten the makeup time on actual day. A trial also helps both parties to know about each other's style. Sometimes I get inspired to try new application methods so why not. Trial is good. Most importantly, it is only during trial that you could request for 2 - 3 different looks. (Some makeup artist might charge you more for more looks but it is worth it. Since trial are usually a lot cheaper than actual day makeup.)

ok think I got my point across.
And I do enjoy watching pixiwoo and lisaeldridge especially when it comes to serious makeup. They're good.

Xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment