Monday 9 September 2013

WEEKEND SEWING!


Weekends are the best time to slow down a little and enjoy life.

I like to spend mine doing things I like - Yes, doing makeup for my clients is one of those things I like.

And I've been sewing. This weekend, I sew a pencil skirt.

What you'll need:
1. 0.5m x 1.5m cloth of choice (main body)
2. 10cm width cloth of choice (waist band)
3. 0.5m x 1.5m lining cloth (optional)
4. 1 zip (I recommend around 20cm)
5. Scissors, iron, sewing machine, needles & thread
6. 3 Hours of your time

My choice of cloth. This is a batik cloth made in indonesia. Typically Batik cloth is made by hand, by applying layers of wax to the fabric, and peeling them off. Traditional Batik has white linings around the patterns - their religious reasons.

Mine came with gold linings, and the fabric is extremely soft. Almost silk like fabric, with velvety textures on the maroon & purple patterns.

I did not follow any patterns for this skirt. I just went along and see how it turns out. But to make the process easier, you could easily take a piece of your other pencil skirts and cut the rough shape out. Leave around 5cm extra cloth around though. When you are starting out, you will make mistakes. 5cm should be enough room for errors.

I finish the skirt with a covered zipper back. Sewing a zip is the hardest thing to do I think. When I sew pencil cases last time, I kept sewing the zip inside out. You really need to pin things out carefully if you are starting out. But it is not hard, it is just really tedious.

I did not use a conceal zip because conceal zips are usually hard zip up and down. Moreover, I think this brass colored zip suits the traditional pattern a lot more. I added a hook, but that is totally optional.

 

I also had linings inside, but forgot to take a photo of it.Anyway, here you get it! :)

Xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment